gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Linux/ppc

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Linux/ppc
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 00:37:07 +0200

Hi,
Should we add a -dataEndianness method to the Format protocol ?
I still don't know if it is file-format dependent or not, it depends
how the libraries handle it
Maybe inspection of other players is in order ?

Checking other code on the network, I found that while our backend initialized the backend to 16bit PCM, others initialize it as 16bit LittleEndian PCM. By reading around, this appears to be a sound-specific setting and not a hardware specific setting. Thus more than a configure script, we should have an endianness property for the media type. However, the library used for reading the media might already do a conversion, however since we decode one file type always with the same library, it still would work. I tried it only with MP3 files, I will try other files like WAV. I commited the change to little-endian since I think it is the safer bet (I guess that o n x86 my change has no effect) please try.

Riccardo