gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune crash (AO)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune crash (AO)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 09:22:52 +0200

Hi,

On 05/07/12 09:04, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

Has it happen while jumping from one song to the next? Did those songs

had different bit rate or number of channels?
If yes, maybe its a race condition in the prepareDevice... method
when closing the device, and the handle is already NULL.
For me, it crashed in ao_plugin_close and in ao_plugin_device_clear,
because those functions were called with the NULL as parameter.
PPC seems to be a bit more picky about NULL pointer dereferences.
After preventing to call those methods with NULL as parameter,
I also got the double free, and Cynthiune aborted. Maybe when I test
it more and longer on i386, I'd get the same problem.

On OpenBSD I have libao-1.1.0.

I will check the version at home. The player was going from one song to the other and at the 2nd or 3rd it crashed.

Usually MP3s area always stereo and 16bit. The bitrate of the song might change, but that shouldn't impact the backend, or am i wrong?

In any case, the two lines before the crash:
ao_alsa WARNING: ao_plugin_close called with uninitialized ao_device->internal ao_alsa WARNING: ao_plugin_device_clear called with uninitialized ao_device->internal

Point out to something illegal which can of course cause any kind of havoc.

Before, when I played a bit with next/previous buttons, nothing happened. If it were consistent it would be easier to run it through GDB.

Riccardo