gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune : add decorations to the song inspector

From: Andreas Schik
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune : add decorations to the song inspector window
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 12:25:44 +0200

Hi,
I have observed this bahaviour on Ubuntu 10.04 using xfce and GNOME, but
not WindowMaker. Digging around in the NSPanel code and other sources
(X11 documentation amongst others) led me to the following  assumptions:

1. The flag NSTitledWindowMask is missing for the song inspector. For
some reason, it got lost in the Gorm bundle. I had some debug output in
-gui, which confirmed that other panels such as the color picker or the
font chooser have this flag set, while the song inspector has not.
AFAIK, this has direct impact on the creation of the X11 window and it
might be that an old beast like WindowMaker simply treats this not quite
correctly, while other window managers do.

2. The flag NSStatusWindowLevel makes the X11 backend elevate the window
to dock level. The NetWM/EWMH specs state that this window type be used
for docks (who would have thought that :-) It is up to the window
manager to display a dock (or other types of windows) in an appropriate
fashion. Again WM does not know about docks, while more modern managers do.
I do not know though, whether the way -back works here is correct, i.e.
whether NSStatusWindowLevel means the same as _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK.

Am 04.05.2012 10:37, schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
> Hi,
>
> StatusWindowLevel appears to be used to make a window float above all
> others. Perhaps Unity interprets it that it has no decorations?
>
> In any case I think this is "bad design". I see no reason the inspector
> should float above all other windows.
> Thus I accept your patch, but for a totally different reason:  thanks
> for spotting that, I thought we had focus problems :)

IMHO, Philippe's proposal was certainly correct, while the missing title
bar flag might not be critical.

--
Grüße / Cheers

Andreas Schik