gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper state

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper state
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:10:44 +0100

Hi
I have found Zipper's state to be quite Abysmal. I checked the tar and
zip handling for now.

Zip handling mostly works if the standard unzip is used. NetBSD uses an
unzip which does not support -qq. Minor problem.
Date parsing did not work. I fixed it on my  box. But I fear that this
has impacts on other computers? The parse strings were wrong.
I had the same problems, but fixed them away with patches in the OpenBSD source
tree.
I applied some of them already.
Tar handling
GNU-tar : mostly worked, but date parsing was bad
same here for me.
Should be fixed.

bsd-tar: On NetBSD no archive could be opened, crashes exceptions. I
fixed it. BSD tar has two date formats if the year is current or not.
Also, there is a trailing line at the end.
Same here for me on OpenBSD. I did not found a good way to parse the dates for
the
BSD tar. Maybe we should just not support it? On OpenBSD, I patched Zipper to
default
to use the GNU tar. (which is installed anyways, due to the gnustep-make
package requires
gnu tar)
I prefer BSD tar. I fixed it for netbsd. I wonder if it works on OpenBSD and other platforms now?
I'll check in the next couple of days in OpenBSD and openSUSE, I'll also test with some other archivers. Sebastian
I haven't yet reviewed / touched those. Tarballs and Zips is what I have around here.

I'm migrating from Renaissance to Gorm, which I prefer. Perhaps I can also attempt a Mac port.

Riccardo