g-wrap-dev

Re: Compiling g-wrap-1.9.15

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Compiling g-wrap-1.9.15
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:56:16 -0300

Hi Paul,

> Hi g-wrap developers,

I'm not a g-wrap developer, but I offered some of my free time to contribute
administratively speaking to the project, and updated the doc, mainly so 'make
distcheck' pass, ... Also note that g-wrap itself is not being further developed
anymore, it is recommended for new projects to use Guile's dynamic FFI.

But G-wrap is used by Guile-Gnome and Guile-Clutter, hence my admin effort to
keep it compiling correctly, until we have a proper GObject Introspection
binding
(I'm working on this but it will take a while, probably a year or so...).

So, I'm assuming you are trying to compile install Guile-Gnome[Clutter], right?
If
not, forget it and use the dynamic FFI.

> I am getting a compilation error when I compile g-wrap-1.9.15 on RedHat
> enterprise Linux 6.4 with GCC 4.4.7.  I can't make much sense of it:

As said above, I don't know g-wrap source code, but maybe I can try to help you
investigate this error, which I agree with you does not make much sense.

So, first, be aware that here, debian testing,  'make distcheck' pass, both
using gcc
4.9.x and gcc 5.x, otherwise I would not have released it (I did the last
release).
A few quiz, tips to go further, maybe:

        - what Guile version are you using?

                - 2.0.12 is the latest stable
                - it will _not_ compile using 2.2 (master branch, 2.1.3 [*])

        - if you are using the latest 2.0.12, and it still fails:

                - double check your config.log and make sure everything is fine
                - if configure pass, could you try using gcc 4.9.x or 5.x
instead
                  and see if it solves your problem

Good luck
David