fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Apr. "BeagleBone B

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Apr. "BeagleBone Black: intro, setup, projects and alternatives"
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 21:48:23 +0100

On 01/05/2019 21:34, Bob Ham wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On 30/04/2019 22:01, Michael Dorrington wrote:
>
>> On the issues of getting Debian Stretch working on the BBB, it turns out
>> there are "issues" but, thankfully, Debian Buster works.
>
> On that note, I dug out my scripts for creating images for a
> BeagleBoneGreen, which is largely identical.  I've attached them.  The
> custom kernel package isn't needed, I was just trying to debug a kernel
> issue.

Thanks for posting the scripts.
Nothing is jumping out at me as why this works and mine didn't,
especially as you say you weren't depending on the custom kernel in the
script.  Could be a BeagleBone Green compared to BBB thing?

> I also note there is
> /usr/share/vmdebootstrap/examples/beagleboneblack.sh and a
> beagleboneblack-customise.sh in the same directory, although they may
> have suffered bitrot.  You mentioned the vmdebootstrap example so
> perhaps you're already aware of them.

Yes, am aware of them.
Exactly the same scripts produced a working image when I used
`--distribution buster` instead of `--distribution stretch`.  As
discussed, this is OK for me as I'd rather have Buster since it is close
to release as Stable.

> This is all for vmdebootstrap though.  I'm sad to hear vmdebootstrap
> won't be included in Buster but not surprised; I understand the
> developer/maintainer is eager to move on from it.  Alas, I guess I'll
> have to learn vmdb2.

Yes, vmdb2 or perhaps an alternative.  Would be great to hear a talk on it.

M.

--
FSF member #9429
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=9429