fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Invitation: Extending the power of Google, Apple

From: John Rooke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Invitation: Extending the power of Google, Apple and Amazon: the E-commerce agenda - 14 November
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:15:24 +0000

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 20:35:31 +0000
From: Nick Dearden <address@hidden>
To: John Rooke <address@hidden>

Dear John,

The digital economy is dominated by a few platforms like Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Ali Baba. As data becomes the most valuable commodity in the new economy, these corporations have formed near monopolies, making them immensely powerful.

Now, they are pushing a trade agenda – so-called ‘e-commerce’ – which will cement their power at the expense of newly emerging players and economies, tax and financial justice, human rights, consumer protection and personal privacy.

To date, this e-commerce agenda has been addressed by few organisations, as it often falls between gaps in policy expertise. That’s why Global Justice Now and the Trade Justice Movement have organised a roundtable, to bring together campaigners and experts on trade and on digital issues. We aim to build links between sectors to strengthen the hand of those fighting the e-commerce agenda.

If you want to know more about this rapidly emerging area, this seminar is for you. We will explain what the e-commerce agenda is, what the implications are for the work of campaign organisations, and what points of leverage we have in the debate. This is an introductory session at which we welcome questions and debate.

Extending the Power of Google, Apple and Amazon: The E-Commerce Agenda

A roundtable discussion led by:
  • Glyn Moody (techdirt),
  • Sanya Reid Smith (Third World Network)
  • Lucile Falgueyrac (Seattle to Brussels)
Tuesday 14 November 2.00 – 5.30pm
The Bishopsgate Institute, 230 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4QH

Nearest train / tube station: Liverpool Street

RSVP: address@hidden

If you feel someone else from your organisation would be better suited to attend this event, please feel free to pass the invitation on.

We hope you can make it,

Nick Dearden, Global Justice Now
Jean Blaylock, Trade Justice Movement

This is a one-off event invitation email.

Our mailing address is:
Global Justice Now
66 Offley Road
London, Eng SW9 0LS