fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] TEDxManchester - 2nd October 2009 (daytime)

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] TEDxManchester - 2nd October 2009 (daytime)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:13:07 +0000

Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Tim Dobson wrote:
>> Michael Dorrington wrote:
>>> Tim Dobson wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> Looking forward to putting the case of Free Software and freedom to them
>>> with you.
>> So I've just looked through the speakers list and recognised a few faces.
> [snip]
>
> They did use some free software at the event. They used VLC[1] to play
> the TED videos (on a non-free OS) and they used (open?)SUSE[2] on the
> mixing desk to monitor (and record?) the videos.

Actually they used the GPL-licenced Ingex video recording system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingex
http://ingex.sourceforge.net/

Ingex Studio which is what they had on their mixing desks runs primarily
on OpenSUSE.

There's a segment in BBC R&D TV episode two where one of the developers
talks at some length about it:
http://welcomebackstage.com/2009/06/rdtv-episode-2/

Speaking of BBC R&D tv, there are videos of the TEDxManchester talks
for anyone who wasn't there:
http://welcomebackstage.com/2009/11/rdtv-episode-3-tedxmanchester-special/

Tim