fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [Wylug-announce] Marketing Initiati

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [Wylug-announce] Marketing Initiative for Open Source Practitioners
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:38:45 +0000

Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Personally it seems a bit strange to me considering the existence of the
> Open Source Consortium[1] - set up to fulfill a similar purpose, as far
> as I can see. Unfortunately, the only information I can find out about
> this is in the contents of that email...
>
> Tim
>
> [1] http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/

I think we (TTLLP soon to be software.coop) didn't join the Open
Source Consortium because it was a relatively expensive pay-to-play
market (for example, it costs more than we pay Cooperatives-UK.coop
for a far wider range of member benefits), with no performance data,
no quality/direction control and a gag on how much we could speak
about free software rather than open source - but it looks like some
of that has changed since I last looked.

So I think there's room for other FOSS organisations in co.uk.

I wish os4b and this as-yet-unnamed group would collaborate with
things like gnuherds.org instead of taking money from Regional
Development Agencies and making their own little islands.  I can't
review what os4b has done because its Google Group is private.  Anyone
got more knowledge about it that they can share with us?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)