Re: privilege, was: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: privilege, was: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:47:38 +0100

On 2/1/08, ana <address@hidden> wrote:

> Andrew Savory wrote:
> > No-one is giving closed software a privileged position deliberately -
>
> Except for the patent system and those who develop it, implement it,
> enforce it and/or  take advantage of it?

*sigh*

It's a PITA when every single statement on this list has to be
qualified and explained in intimate detail for fear of being
misunderstood or quoted out of context.

My point was: no-one in _THIS DEBATE ON THIS LIST_ is giving closed
source a privileged position deliberately. I believe the patent system
would fall under the 'etc' in:

"No-one is giving closed software a privileged position deliberately -
though it would certainly be foolish to ignore the fact that it
obviously occupies one simply by dint of being first to market,
cash-rich due to restrictive licensing, etc."

Thanks.

A.