Re: [Fsfe-uk] Something to Digg

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Something to Digg
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:32:19 +0100

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:08 +0100, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2007 09:59, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > Well, from his comments about the BSI and then talking about Microsoft
> > interoperability I actually inferred that he was talking about "Office
> > Open XML".
>
> Hehe. Failing an opportunity to tie him to a chair and shine a light in his
> face, we'll just have to differ on our interpretations of what he meant :-)

Well, I thought "Would it not help in the quest for openness if the
British Standards Institution were to follow the lead in other parts of
the world and make open source XML one of the standards to be applied
throughout the world?" was pretty clear-cut, particularly since Pugh
then goes on to talk about office applications.

Either the MP is ill-informed about XML (which the BSI effectively
approved many years ago, and is a standard applied throughout the world
already), or he's talking about office open XML.

I think it's the latter, and I fear he's been thoroughly misled by
someone (otherwise, where would he get 'open source XML' from?).

Actually, either way, he's pretty disastrously ill-informed, though I
guess the sentiment he's expressing are pretty hopeful.

Cheers,

Alex.