Re: [Fsfe-uk] Parliament: someone to demonstrate some bling?

From: Simon Morris
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Parliament: someone to demonstrate some bling?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:05:13 +0100

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 20:40 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I suspect that this meeting would be useful for a variety of reasons,
> partly so we can get a sniff of upcoming "internet policy" (which they
> want to discuss), and to make new contacts and stuff. But, what I'd
> _really_ like to do is to lever APIG into allowing someone to come
> along
> and demonstrate a current well-tuned GNU/Linux system alongside
> Windows
> Vista.
>
> Hence the bling of the subject. While Vista no doubt runs many
> applications and is useful for many common-or-garden internet tasks, I
> suggest that the main "wow!" of this demonstration will be snazzy
> graphics which make people drool and make people think it is great.
> This
> is, however, nothing that SLED, or Fedora, or similar (not _totally_
> sure about other OSes - edgy Ubuntu can, but that's not really for
> show
> yet) can't do. Fedora being the preferable 'most free' candidate I can
> think of.
>
> Now, I know this is possible with free software, because the windows
> on
> my desktop wobble and fade and spin with the best of them, and I'm not
> using proprietary 3D drivers. Promise.

Me either - Thinkpad T42 running OpenSUSE 10.1 with the free driver..
XGL works like a dream (except the dream is transparent and cubed and it
spins violently)

> However, I can't go, cos I will be in the States. So, is anyone here:
>
>      1. able to put together a snazzy demo box (preferably, they
> already
>         have aiglx/compiz/whatever running) which can showcase top
> Free
>         Software applications (Firefox 2.0, OpenOffice.org 2.0, etc.
>         etc.) to attempt to torpedo MS' presentation?

My laptop is all free except:

 * Lotus Notes
 * VMWare player

which I am more than prepared to remove for the demonstration day...

>      2. willing to represent AFFS to attend this thing? I know that
>         there aren't many of us in London, and fewer able to take a
> day
>         off of work middle of October. But there seems to be free food
>         and drinks in it.

yeah, I'd absolutely love to. Please send more information.

> Obviously, I can't promise that we can present a free OS. But, at
> least
> if I have a volunteer, we can then attempt to put some pressure on
> them.
> Other good ideas extremely welcome.

Thanks

~sm