Re: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 17:36:26 +0100

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 11:03 +0100, Stuart Yeates wrote:
> Speaking as someone attached to an independent advisory group, I
> think it is safe to say that we'd be much happier with materials
> produced by people like LegalTV rather than explicit advocacy groups.

That's obviously for each individual organisation to decide. The problem
with that approach is that people like LegalTV don't have any particular
insight into this community, and more often than not "independent"
studies make pretty elementary errors because they don't understand the
subject.

While there would obviously be an inherent bias, as an exposition of a
idea rather than a piece of advocacy, I don't think bias would be an
problem. You can take it or leave it - it would be more important to me
that people understand what is being shown than are persuaded to any
particular point of view.

I think in general most people would welcome it, and incorporate it into
the other stuff they had if they were trying to show a "balanced" point
of view. Everything on earth is biased, and you can't escape bias by
ignoring points of view.

Cheers,

Alex.