[Fsfe-uk] [Alug]Fwd: [Debian-uk] Software patents pubmeet in Cambridge

From: markj
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] [Alug]Fwd: [Debian-uk] Software patents pubmeet in Cambridge
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:49:15 +0100 (BST)

I think I'll be there...

From: Wookey <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:16:21 +0100 (BST)

A few of us in Cambridge are trying to increase public/geek/programmer
awareness of EU software Patent legislation which is pending, and things
are currently balanced between very bad, and quite reasonable, legislation.

The issues are complicated. Any of you who are local and would like to be
better informed, especially in order to make intelligent points to your
representatives, would benefit from coming along. Here's the blurb:

-----

Hi there,

Join other software developers and Intellectual Property practioners at a
pubmeet to in Cambridge discuss the proposals.

As you may know, the EU is working on a directive covering software
patenting. The next vote is scheduled for the 16th or 17th of June in the
JURI subcommittee, which deals with legal affairs and the internal market.
The final vote on the proposed directive by the European Parliament is
currently scheduled for the end of June. The outcome of the process could
affect individual software developers as well as small and larger companies
but there isn't general awareness about the issues.

Meet at the Free Press, Prospect Row, 8pm Thursday 5th June. The Free Press
is a non-smoking pub. Look for a notice saying Patents or ask at the bar.
Admission free. Let me, Jeff Veit, know that you are coming - email
address@hidden because if the numbers are too large we will switch
venue. Final notification by email on the afternoon of the 5th. Your email
details won't be shared with anyone.

Check http://www.tangledtime.com/patents.htm for latest news on the meeting.

If you aren't interested or are interested but are unable to attend but a
colleague or friend might be interested please let them know - this meeting
has been organised quickly and hasn't been widely publicised and I am only
sending one mail to each company/group that I think may be interested.

Best wishes,

Jeff Veit

Wookey