fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] the sky is falling!

From: Scott Elcomb
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] the sky is falling!
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:46:44 -0400

I'd like to comment on the line "It needs to be drilled into the heads of politicians,"

There was a similar conversation on the Digital Copyright Canada mailing list years ago[1] in which I made my choice.  We can try to educate the politicians in a non-partisan manner [which I whole-heartedly support btw!] or bring that knowledge into the system ourselves.

I chose the latter. I do not trust legislators when it comes to technology law; it's similar to letting the Church[2] decide what is or is-not in the realm of Science.

Something else that drove me to the decision: "With knowledge comes responsibility."  I'm not saying I'm a subject-matter expert here, but if I don't stand up then who will?  Most likely someone with even less knowledge in this area.

Canada was the first Pirate Party to be officially registered outside of Europe; we've lost momentum but that should not be surprising.  I knew going in that it'd take years for us to have any serious impact, that there would be more downs than ups during this period, and that generally-speaking it would be rough going.  So far, we're right on track.

That said, many people who are aware of us (and even some of our membership[3]) still think we're only interested in getting Entertainment content for free.  This couldn't be farther from the truth though - among the "serious" Pirates - those I refer to as "Political Pirates" are far more concerned with naiive/ignorant[4] legislators, legislation and their effects on the public.

Best,
- Scott

[1] circa 2005/06 IIRC - roughly around the time the Swedish Pirate Party was launching.  Unfortunately I was unable today to locate a link to the conversation on the DCC website.

[2] I'm not attacking the Church (or any religion) here; I'm just making reference to historical situations - such as the Earth being the center of the Universe - to make the point.

[3] a generalization on global attitudes of Pirates, based on anecdotal evidence I've seen in various Pirate Party-related mailing lists.

[4] again, I'm not trying to be provocative or insulting here.