fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] LibrePlanet Canada + possible FSF Canada (was: Hello)

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] LibrePlanet Canada + possible FSF Canada (was: Hello)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:44:03 -0500

On 12-01-25 01:25 AM, Jerald Vanderraad wrote:
> We do not have any LibrePlanet organization here in Vancouver, but I'm
> sure there are enough people in the woodwork to form a small group. I'm
> lurking in #lp-ca-bc, just in case.
Nice :)

> I think the concept of local LibrePlanet groups across the country
> working in concert for our needs in Canada is a really good foundation
> to start with. It looks like there are folks on the list here who are
> politically connected to some degree, so that could help tie the
> Canadian LibrePlanet groups together when we wish to work on any
> initiatives at a federal level.
>
> So, I think we could:
>
> (in FSF style)
>
> 0. Network locally and gather the troops
> 1. Figure out a raison d'etre nationally. Would our efforts be
> redundant?
> 2. Engage politically.
> 3a. Incorporate a non-profit
> 3b. Register as a charity
>
> As has been said, it may be hard to get people fired up for free
> software to the point where we will be receiving a lot of monetary
> contributions. We could see donations from the corporate community, but
> that would pretty much necessitate charitable status. The charity
> designation does bring a lot more complexity to this proposal, OTOH it
> would be hard to operate and do outreach effectively without it. We'll
> have to weigh that up, and it should become clearer in time.
>
> my 0.02
>
> I hope to be in Boston on March 24/25, and I agree with you Fabian, that
> would be a good time to get things in gear.
>
> Regards,
> jerald
>
> [...]

I've done some cleanup on the LibrePlanet wiki and registered #lp-ca
where I now auto-join daily. I followed this guide to create the channel:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/CreatingChannels

LibrePlanet wiki page about Canada:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Canada (I've added links to IRC and the
fsf.ca website there)

Some more resources for people in this list interested in IRC:
*http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml ? IRC Channel Guidelines ?
useful info on how to run a good channel on freenode.
*http://freenode.net/catalysts.shtml ? about Catalysts ? an incredibly
important concept that makes freenode the great network that it is.
Please try to be a catalyst whenever you?re on the network, but most
importantly when you?re running your own channel.

If you're starting your local LibrePlanet group:
* http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Form:Group#IRC_Channel
* http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Qu%C3%A9bec (an example of FSF local
member listing)
* http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Member_Directory_for_Canada - Member
directory for Canada

That about burns the weekly hour time I have to put on this but should
help others go further. Let me know on the channel if you need help.

I've also contacted the FSF for information and guidance on how this
could go forward.

Cheers,

Fabian

- --