Re: [ft] Problems when rendering some fonts

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft] Problems when rendering some fonts
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:15:14 -0000

> Hello,

Hi :)

> I have a problems when rendering some fonts in kivy (python), for example
font
> *Bleeding_Cowboys.ttf*
> Issue: https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/6149
>
> and *New York Deco.ttf*
> Issue: https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/6150
>
> in kivy, I tried to use sdl2 and pillow backends for text rendering - the
> result is about the same.
>
> I tested it on Ubuntu,
>
> Kivy developers suggested that I turn to the Freetype support.
>
> The same problems occur when using Pygame framework.
>
> but these fonts work correctly, for example, in Godot engine 3 (tested for
> Windows).
>
> How can I check if this is a Freetype problem?

If you feel somewhat comfortable with C, you could try to write a tiny
program that loads + renders the failing characters (in whatever order) from
the font files in question, using FreeType directly.  A quick + handy
tutorial can be found at
https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html;  it's generally
just a few lines of code.  If stuff still fails in that program, your C code
would come extremely handy as it's a minimal working example that we can use
to track the issue within FreeType (without trying to understand what's
going on in your code specifically).

If this is not possible, it would be very helpful if you sent us your
Ubunutu version (and the Version of FreeType, if you're using something else
but the shipped version).  Also please briefly describe what you tried to do
to see that specific failure.  As far as I understand #6149, you tried to
load the characters `A' and `R' (in that order) from the font
`Bleeding_Cowboys' and the program crashed right after that?

Also #6150 looks like an issue with the font file itself.  Have you tested
the font successfully, like `tito' suggested?

Best
Armin