Re: [ft] Position independent code

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: [ft] Position independent code
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 21:34:54 +0100

On 13.03.2018 at 00:32 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> I think you don't need that.  IIRC, libtool (which is used behind
>>> the scenes to generate the compiler calls in the makefile)
>>> automatically calls `-fPIC'.

>> Even when I say ./configure --enabled-shared=no?

> ???  You write that you want `to statically link it into a shared
> object'.  So you actually have to create a shared object, no?

No, I want to *statically* link freetype into a shared object. If
I wanted to *dynamically* link it, I'd need a shared object. But
since I'm statically linking it, I don't need a shared object but
a link library created using ar and of course the individual object
files combined by ar need to use position independent code because
I want to link them into a shared object. Granted, it's a little
complicated :)

> However, libtool allows you to say

>   ./configure --disable-shared --with-pic

> which should enable pic objects for static libraries (this is
> untested, though).

Right, that seems to do the job. I've noticed that this also
defines the PIC macro but I don't see this referenced anywhere
in the sources. Is it necessary at all?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:address@hidden