[ft] v38 interpreter changes visual result

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: [ft] v38 interpreter changes visual result
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:14:35 +0100 (CET)

Greetings.

I have found that freetype changed the appearance of fonts recently, and
bisected the behavioral change down to between 119e8e41e and ed1d8983f.

The attached screenshot[1] shows xterm -fa "Ubuntu Mono:size=22:dpi=96",
which now takes up more overall horizontal space as a result of the
change, meaning I actually have to reduce the font size somewhat to get
a window of the same size as before.

I would like to get back the previous behavior (with a current
freetype), where chars are rendered slightly wider and actually have a
better hinting (cf. the stem of a 'b').

[1] if not delivered, see http://inai.de/files/ft-bytecode38.png