Re: [ft] The fastest way to query size of a rendered bitmap

From: Daniel Plakhotich
Subject: Re: [ft] The fastest way to query size of a rendered bitmap
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:16:25 +0300

Am I right that drop-out control can result in a 1-bit bitmap smaller
(but never bigger) than the 8-bit one?

The tutorial (3. Coordinates, scaling and grid-fitting) mentions the
drop-outs and describes the steps to compute an approximate size of a
bitmap by grid-fitting the bounding box of a glyph. It seems like this
is the best solution for my case. The result may be several pixels
larger than the actual bitmap, but this is definitely faster than
doing the rendering.