Re: [ft] : Microsoft YaHei UI font can't be displayed well

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] : Microsoft YaHei UI font can't be displayed well
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:37:42 +0900 (JST)

> My laptop DPI is 144, please refer to attachment DPI.png.  There you
> can see i set 8pt-12pt for `据捯'.  If converted to pixel unit, they
> would be 12-24 px.  I also attach an picture for "据" in fontlab
> with 12 ppem and 14 ppem, you can see in 12ppem, the height is 11
> px, in 14ppem, the height is 12 pixel.  The height matched in Word.
> So i think those pixel value should be correct.

Yes, this looks good now, thanks![*] It would be very helpful if you
could do another screenshot with FontLab, this time with ClearType
hinting.  What you have selected in `fontlab.png' is classical B/W
rendering, and in this mode FreeType produces identical bitmaps for
12ppem and 14ppem.

    Werner

[*] I find it very disturbing that character `捯' is a pixel too large
    at 12ppem and 14ppem, even with the MS rasterizer.  Originally I
    thought that FreeType did something wrong, but fortunately this is
    not the case.  The same problem happens for many other glyphs in
    this font – this is a clear sign that the people who extended the
    GB 2312 glyphs with the GB 18030 repertoire did a bad hinting or
    scaling job, which I consider rather embarrassing for MS.