Re: [ft] Rendering a filled contour inside an unfilled one

From: Shriramana Sharma
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering a filled contour inside an unfilled one
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:06:32 +0530

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> But isn't the filled/unfilled nature supposed to be determined by
>> the orientation of the contour?
>
> Correct.  I just wanted to mention that FreeType's smooth rasterizer
> supports both rules.

Sorry but I still don't get it. If the filled/unfilled nature is
determined by the contour orientation, then how is it valid to provide
the fill-rules, since they would subvert the determination of the
filling by the orientation?

>> Well I hope trying to write a module that removes self-overlaps of
>> outlines would be a valid candidate?
>
> OK.  I suggest to have a look at the FontForge code which does a quite
> good job for that.

I seem to have read that the FF code isn't robust in case of
tangencies etc -- is that wrong? I'm personally looking at a more
formalized polished solution based on:
http://www.cgal.org/Manual/latest/doc_html/cgal_manual/Boolean_set_operations_2/Chapter_main.html#Subsection_19.4.3

--
Shriramana Sharma