Re: [ft] FreeType and Direct X (was: License question)

From: Takeyoshi Kobayashi
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeType and Direct X (was: License question)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:48:06 +0100

Daer All,

thank you for all the input and suggestions.
My engine still is based on DX9 though...
I wanted to have an easy font-system in my engine without the need for shaders.
For text I am using the default DX9 TnL machinery and I was able now to solve my problems.

I noticed that using single DX-textures for each glyph was not only a waste of resources and performances, it also introduced hacks to avoid artifacts on the textures borders if filtering was applied.

I have now an extremely simple bin-packer (since the one suggested by the paper written by Jukka Jylaenki packed the glyphs to tightly and created nasty overlaps...) which adds a single-pixel (variable though) border around each glyph and then puts them into the grand glyph texture map (I think I saw places call this texture a "glyph atlas" sometimes???), and finally generates u/v tex coords.

Selecting font sizes 8-120 with anisotropic or linear filtering looks on any resolution and font size really really good now.
Even without hinting etc. applied.

It's simple and quite fast.

Once I figure out how outlining works I will create a small DX9 demo (since DX10/11 is backwards compatible, it will also compile with those folks) that only uses default very easy TnL rendering for text.

Many thanks so far,
Best
Takeyoshi