Re: [ft] FreeSerifBoldItalic and "zj"

From: Patrick Baggett
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeSerifBoldItalic and "zj"
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:23:01 -0600

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Anders Wallin <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi list,

I'm using font geometry from libfreetype6 (2.4.4-2ubuntu1.1) to test
an application I am writing.
My application takes only non-intersecting lines or curves as input.

I've run into a problem with FreeSerifBoldItalic and "zj". In my
program this produces overlapping characters. I've tried it with
Inkscape, LibreOffice, and GIMP also. LibreOffice produces overlapping
characters while Inkscape and GIMP do not:
http://www.anderswallin.net/2012/01/with-freeserifbolditalic-dont-ever-write-zj/

Here is the code I am using to extract geometry from freetype:
https://github.com/aewallin/truetype-tracer/blob/master/src/ttt.cpp

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to avoid it?

(looking at ttt.cpp)
It doesn't look like you're using kerning information. If I recall correctly, it is a spacing in addition to the 'advance' that is a function of the previous letter and the current letter about to be rendered, e.g. Kern(prev, this) and it is used to correctly space two letters apart to prevent the 'zj' problem. I haven't seen any issues with my rendering and I basically use GLU to tessellate outlines (I don't use the  FT_Outline_Decompose() interface). The fact that Libre/OpenOffice has that problem is unsettling.

thanks,
Anders Wallin