Re: [ft] FreeType license confirmation

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeType license confirmation
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:20:37 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
> We are considering using “FreeType” in our products.
>
> Before going any further, however, we would like to confirm the following so
> that we are sure to fully respect your rights.
>
> You are the author and owner of the copyrights in the program.
>
> You have distributed the program under the attached license that
> permits us to use and redistribute the program with or without modification
> provided that any conditions stated in the license are met.
I did not see any actual attachements. However the conditions
established in the LICENSE file distributed with any release of
Freetype, are that you should choose between two options:
- one is the GPLv2 license, which allows you to use Freetype in your
product provided your whole product is also covered by the GPL (which
usually means you should provide the code in source form.)
- the other is the FTL license, which allows you to use Freetype in your
product without changing its license, but requires you to "advertise"
the use of Freetype.

A quick search through the web showed me the manuals for the Toshiba
"BDX2000" product (apparently a DVD reader) to enclose such references,
so presumably its firmware is using the FTL licensing terms. Note
however that I am not a lawyer, and I did not take the time to confirm
whether such notices conform to each and every clauses of the license.

Hope it helps,
Antoine