Re: [ft] combining indic characters by using truetype font

From: li bo
Subject: Re: [ft] combining indic characters by using truetype font
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:56:23 +0800

Hi mpsuzuki,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for the unclear question. I don't know much about the font.
I even don't know the difference between opentype and truetype.
As i know freetype1 support opentype layout( glyph substitution, positioning (kerning)), but freetype2 doesn't.
My question is: If i use truetype font, How I handle the indic scripts(shaping and combining)?
I have read pango before, After layout the complex text, pango then shape them by using opentype layout table(GUSB and GPOS). Is that right? Whether I can do it like pango?

Thanks

BR
libo

2011/9/7 suzuki toshiya <address@hidden>
Hi,

li bo wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to render indic scripts, using freetype.

If you are looking for a library that render an ISCII or Unicode
string, FreeType is not it. Please take a look on Unicode text
rendering libraries like HarfBuzz, Pango, ICU or Qt.

> And I need to use Truetype font.
>
> I'm not very clear about the difference between truetype font and opentype
> font. Can be opentype table(GPOS and GSUB) applied to truetype table?

Your message is difficult for me to understand how you distinguish OpenType
and TrueType, so I cannot give meaningful comment at once.

Regards,
mpsuzuki