[ft] Change in line spacing in xterm with freetype 2.4.6

From: Miroslav Hodak
Subject: [ft] Change in line spacing in xterm with freetype 2.4.6
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:50:59 -0400

Guys,

after upgrading to freetype 2.4.6 on my Gentoo machine I have noticed
that linespacing in xterm using a Freetype font has shrunk a lot. Here
is a screenshot showing this effect:

http://postimage.org/image/1wckxjcis/

Both xterms show the same 25 lines, but with 2.4.4 the xterm used to
take more space because of linespacing was considerably larger. I find
the the new xterm harder to read now.

I am wondering if this could be due to ascender and descender changes in
2.4.6. From release notes:

 For TrueType based fonts, the ascender and descender values were
 incorrect sometimes  (off by a pixel if the ppem value was not a
 multiple of 5).   Depending on the use you might now  experience
 a different  layout; the  change should  result in  better, more
 consistent line spacing.

My question is whether this rather dramatic shrinking of line spacing is
intentional due to changes in 2.4.6, or if it exposes bug in xterm (or
something else). I should also mention that I do not see changes in XFCE
terminal, although I am not sure whether it uses the same font.

Thanks,
Miro