[ft] Stray pixel from FT_Outline_Get_Bitmap()?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: [ft] Stray pixel from FT_Outline_Get_Bitmap()?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:07:44 -0300

Hi all,
I believe I'm seeing a regression between 2.3.9 and 2.3.11 when
rendering monochrome text, resulting in a stray pixel being
rendered - See the attached screenshots.  Note that I feel this
is a regression since the 2.3.11 version looks wrong, while the
older 2.3.9 looks correct.  This is on a 64-bit Mandriva 2010.0
system (GCC 4.4.1).  Note that no problems are seen when the
text is rendered using AA.  Also, hinting is disabled.

I had initially encountered this via Cairo, but after some
debugging and discussions with them, suspicion is on the
FT_Outline_Get_Bitmap() function that Cairo uses as part of its
rasterization of text.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to give out this custom font nor view
it in ftview, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to best pass this
problem over to someone for further investigation - Suggestions

Meanwhile, I can provide the raw geometry of the problematic
diamond shape (from the font file), in the hopes that it can be
used somehow:
     -35, 368   (LL)
    -111, 444   (UL)
     -22, 444   (UR)
      54, 368   (LR)
     -35, 368   (LL)
My suspicion is on the 45-degree angle the lower-right corner forms,
with that angle triggering a problem somewhere in

As part of my testing, I switched back from 2.3.11 to 2.3.9, and my
failing tests then passed, reinforcing my suspicion that the problem
is in FT 2.3.11.

Any suggestions about how to proceed welcome!