Re: [ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter

From: Adam Twardoch (List)
Subject: Re: [ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:39:14 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Do you have any ideas how many fonts are affected?  Which of them are
> important/well known?

Apart from the obvious (the Microsoft "ClearType Collection", i.e.
Cambria, Corbel, Candara, Consolas, Calibri, Constantia as well as
Meiryo for Japanese, Malgun Gothic for Korean, Microsoft YaHei for
Chinese Simplified and Microsoft JhengHei for Chinese Traditional), also
Microsoft's Gabriola (which ships with Windows 7) plus FontFont's recent
"Offc" releases [1], FontShop Germany's Axel [2], a number of fonts
released by Ascender (though I have no specific data which ones) [3].
Other font vendors are also working on fonts optimized for ClearType.

I assume that you're familiar with the MS whitepaper on ClearType [4]?

Please keep in mind that the OpenType spec now includes the head.flags
bit 13 which indicates whether a font has been "optimized for ClearType".

Best,
Adam

[1] http://www.fontshop.com/blog/?p=1286
[2] http://www.fontshop.be/details.php?entry=386
[3] http://www.ascenderfonts.com/foundry/ascender/
[4] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/TruetypeCleartype.aspx

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Reporter: "So what will your trip to Ireland look like?"
Lech Wałęsa: "I get into a car, then onto a plane, and then the other
way around."