RE: [ft] Size problem

From: Sebastien LEIX
Subject: RE: [ft] Size problem
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:16:24 +0200

>> I have two program, one in c# and other in c++, which display the
>> same things (same text).
>>
>> In c++ i use freetype for font rendering, in c# i use the framework.
>Your description is far too generic.  We need more details.

My first program is in C#.NET and must render a preview of a text. I use the
framework for font rendering with the
System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawString(...) method.

My second program is in C++ (not .NET) and must render the real text. I use
the freetype library.

With same resolution (96dpi), same font (arial), same size (20), same text,
the render is different.

>Which font?

I rendered with Arial et Arial Bold :
In Arial Bold : "THIS IS A ARIAL BOLD FONT"
In Arial : "This is a Arial Font"

>Which FreeType version?

FreeType 2.3.1

>Snapshots?

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9084/freetypewx4.png

This is a screenshot with 4 texts lines (1 and 2 with C# .NET, 3 and 4 with
C++ Freetype).

You can see the render difference between Windows .NET and freetype. The
.NET font is biggest, specialy in bold.

Line 1 and 2 :
- Windows
- C# .NET
- Rendered with the  System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawString(...) method
- 96dpi
- Size 20
- line 1 in Arial Regular
- line 2 in Arial Bold (Font name is "Arial" with Bold=true, i don't know if
it use ARIALBD.TTF or ARIAL.TTF with fake bold).

Line 3 and 4 :
- Windows
- C++
- Rendered with FT_Load_Char(...) and bitmap glyph blitting
- 96dpi
- Size 20
- line 3 with ARIAL.TTF
- line 4 with ARIALBD.TTF