Re: [ft] gdi hack with freetype

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] gdi hack with freetype
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:01:24 +0100

It's a superb hack to use FreeType as *the* font rasterizer within a Windows
system.
I must say I'm seriously impressed by it, it even supports sub-pixel rendering,
using
either a statically or dynamically linked FreeType library, and a few other
things. if you go
to the following pages, you should be able to download the "gdi0387.zip" file
containing
the source code for it, as well as some DLLs and executables to install it on
your
system.

  http://free.flop.jp/gdi++/

However, looking at the source code, I see some files liberally taken from
Microsoft's
C runtime sources (e.g. path handling routines). In other words, I don't know
if it's
legal to distribute these sources or the binaries generated from them.

Apparently, this works by patching the in-memory shared copies of various
system DLLs
(e.g. GID32.DLL) so that text-related entry-points are redirected to GDI++.DLL,
which comes
with the package. It's a pretty agressive technique, I wonder if an anti-virus
program
wouldn't catch these and prevent these operations.

I must say that I'm pretty cautious and would *not* install this package's
binaries without
recompiling them from the sources. The potential for abuse is huge. From what
I've read,
the sources seem clean from any malvolence, but I can't guarantee this at the
moment.

I also wonder if this is a way to implement ClearType-like rendering in Windows
2000,
that would be awesome.

I don't read Japanese but it seems GDI++ originates from the following web page:

http://drwatson.nobody.jp/gdi++/

Kudos to the developers. I don't know exactly what we can do to help them here,
but this seems pretty impressive.

Regards,

- David Turner