Re: [ft] which font format???

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [ft] which font format???
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:42:03 +0100

>> First I have tried TrueType fonts, but they seem over scored for my
>> platform. Now I am thinking about BDF, a bitmap font?

> If you need just a single size (or perhaps two sizes), I recommend to
> use a bitmap-only SFNT font.

You will find a utility to convert BDF to bitmap-only sfnt in the
freedesktop.org CVS, under

  http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/fonttosfnt/

Well-coded sfnt fonts are much more compact than BDF fonts, and they
can be loaded incrementally -- you don't need to load the whole font
in memory in order to use it.

                                        Juliusz