[ft] ./configure --version does not emit Autoconf version information

From: Paul Watson
Subject: [ft] ./configure --version does not emit Autoconf version information
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 11:08:58 -0600

Should './configure --version' print the version of Autoconf that was used to
generate the 'configure' script?  That seems to be what './configure --help'
would suggest.  While './configure --version' does emit some useful
information, I do not yet see any version information about Autoconf, the
project, or anything else.

    http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_14.html

This is under Cygwin on XP.  I am still trying to build a shared library for
use with graphviz.  It would be helpful if someone who knows would tell me what
I do not know.  Suggestions welcomed.  Thanks.

$ ./configure --version

FreeType build system -- automatic system detection

The following settings are used:

  platform                    unix
  compiler                    gcc
  configuration directory     ./builds/unix
  configuration rules         ./builds/unix/unix.mk

If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the file
`config.mk' from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.

Otherwise, simply type `make' again to build the library,
or `make refdoc' to build the API reference (the latter needs python).

cd builds/unix; ./configure --version

This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.
make: Nothing to be done for `unix'.

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.