Re: [Freetype] Problems with pcf format using freetype in win32 env

From: Kalon
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Problems with pcf format using freetype in win32 env
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:43:20 -0700

        error = FT_New_Face( library,

  if(!thisIsASymbolFont)
      FT_Select_Charmap(face, ft_encoding_unicode)
   else
      FT_Select_Charmap(face, ft_encoding_none)

I didn't realize that I needed to select a charmap. IT works great now. Thanks Werner and Juliusz.

By the way: accessing compressed PCF font files with FreeType will be
horribly slow.  I recommend that you switch to bitmap SFNTs, which you
can generate using fonttosfnt, available in XFree86 and X.Org CVS under

  xc/programs/fonttosfnt/

You're right it is pretty slow. I've been having trouble getting a binary for this on windows. I'm not very experience in these things. If there is a precompiled one somewhere on the web let me know. Otherwise I'll try and get cygwin working. I suppose that will work.

Thanks for all your help.
Kalon