[Freetype] Bitmaps in OSX dfont?

From: Christian Demmer
Subject: [Freetype] Bitmaps in OSX dfont?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:17:37 +0100

Hello,

I have some problems with fonts - for example Monaco.dfont - from OS X.
It looks very different (say bad) in FreeType than in OS X's own font
rendering at small sizes and I think that is because it contains
bitmaps for size 9, 10, 12, 14 in the dfont File. FreeType does not
recognize the bitmaps (num_fixed_sizes is 0). Why is this, I believed
FreeType can handle embedded bitmaps.

I digged around a bit and found fondu <http://fondu.sourceforge.net/>,
which extracts the fonts from a dfont to bdf and ttf files. I thought I
could use the bdf instead for the small sizes. They load correct but I
don't get an working encoding. There is a note in the bdf files that you
have to set up things manually but I don't really know how to do that.
I would like to have an Unicode mapping.

Could someone point me in the right direction, which is the best way
to get the bitmaps working?

Thanks, Christian