Re: [Freetype] Bad font rendering quality?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Bad font rendering quality?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:04:35 +0100 (CET)

> Having just upgraded my laptop system (from RedHat 8.0 to Fedora Core
> 1), I was puzzled when some of my fonts suddenly started looking rather
> bad.

It doesn't look bad at all.  It is crisper.  AFAIK you can modify the
xft to get the old smooth behaviour.

> It turns out that there is a very pronounced difference in how some
> fonts are rendered, while others continue looking pretty much the
> same.

The fonts which look differently are handled by the autohinter, this
is which have missing or bad hints.  If xft is set up for LCD, you get
a threefold horizontal pseudo-resolution (similar to Microsoft's
ClearType thing).