[Freetype] New bitmap sfnt converter and samples

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] New bitmap sfnt converter and samples
Date: 11 Jan 2003 21:38:30 +0100

Dear all,

I've just put together the changes to fonttootf from the last months
and renamed it to fonttosfnt.  A copy of my latest version can be
found on

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/fonttosfnt-20030111.tar.gz

I've also put together samples of the fonts generated by this version on

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/bitmap-sfnt-sample.zip

This version generates fonts that are accepted by Windows, but crash
XP straight away.  I'd like to know why.

The samples are as follows:

  fixed-0.ttf: neither glyf nor loca tables (i.e., no scalable
  glyphs).  Refused by both FreeType and Windows.

  fixed-1.ttf: a single scalable glyph.  Appears blank under both
  FreeType and Windows.

  fixed-2.ttf: a blank scalable glyph for every bitmap.  Works fine
  under FreeType, crashes Windows.

It would be great if FreeType could be modified to grok fixed-1 and
fixed-0.  The first is simple: just remove the test that causes
FreeType to ignore bitmaps if they are beyond maxp->numGlyphs (sorry,
I don't recall right now where this test is).  The former might be
more tricky, I don't know.

I'd also be grateful if somebody competent with legacy platforms ;-)
could find out why fixed-2 crashes Windows.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz