Re: [Freetype] Monochrome troubles

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Monochrome troubles
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:01:57 +0100

Paul Tanganelli wrote:

I'm at my wits end here...

I'm trying to render some simple monochrome characters to a single texture to use as the source for my interface character set. Take a look at the attached image to see what I'm shooting for. Everything is working great, except I just can't get the font quality up to par. I've tried just about every combination of load flags in FT_Set_Char_Size, but nothing seems to look good. Zoom in and notice the bulky W and the lopsided 8 for instance. Its 12 point Arial on Win2K.

http://www.imgmag.com/images/mccrankenspank/font_Arial_12_sample.png

What version of FreeType are you using ?
Have you manually enabled the bytecode interpreter by tweaking ftoption.h ?

If not, the output is the result of the autohinting algorithm, that will never
produce glyphs that are as good as the native TrueType hinter for high
quality fonts like Arial.

Note: the auto-hinter is not correctly optimized for monochrome rendering.

By the way, the reason why your glyphs are misplaced is because you
didn't use the "bitmap_top" and "bitmap_left" fields of FT_GlyphSlot
to offset them to their correct position relative to the "pen position"

Hope this helps,

- David Turner