[Freetype] auto-hinter - separate "rules" from lib

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] auto-hinter - separate "rules" from lib
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:06:07 +0000

I know that David Turner was planning rewrite of FT2 auto-hinter module, but
not aware of it's status.
Some ideas came to my mind rethinking once more hinting process and typical
font usage (at least for languages I can speak/write)

What about to separate auto-hinter *rules* from FreeType lib/modules (and
make it just another module or script in some pseudo-language)?
 Advantages:
* auto-hinter module can be updated more often than FreeType itself
* it's possible to make automatic web-based updates for rules (auto-hints),
so it reduces TCO and provides way for faster, easy updates
* it's possible to modify rules without re-compilation of FT, which is
clearly advantage for people who don't want (or can't) to compile FT on their
own.

As it was already pointed out on FT mailing list, PostScript Type1 hints are
in general more easy to understand than TrueType hints, and it's easier to
hint PS T1 fonts than TT.
Speaking in terminology of programming languages, PS T1 hints are
declarative, while TT is procedural.
(from other side, we can think of PS T1 as C language, while TT really
reminds me pure assembler)
So, it makes sense IMO to make such external "rules" in pseudo-PostScript
style.
hstem, vstem, hstem3, vstem3 PS hints look quite natural to me, we just need
some mechanism to *measure* extremes (and, may be, to add character
"semantics"  and map results like
if ( condA )
 { apply hstem3  to ... }
else
 if (cond B)
   { apply hstem to p1, L1; and hstem to p2, L2  }

Probably, hstem3 and vstem3 hints are not very often used in latin-based
fonts, but they are very common for many Cyrillic glyphs.
So I would like to improove auto-hinting for these characters/glyphs, writing
specific routines in this pseudo-language.
After manual hinting of several fonts, I found that I am acting like
computer, doing mechanical work. So, there is clearly a way to improove this
part :-))

Any ideas, thoughts on auto-hinter "rules" and how (if) it can be implemented?
 Any feedback from you is highly appreciated.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)