Re: [Freetype] (no subject)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:27:10 +0200 (CEST)

> I am using the GLTT library (which uses FreeType) for drawing text
> in OpenGL. Since, the freetype library requires the name of the font
> file for which we need to draw text I am having some problems with
> fonts which do not have all the effects like Italic, Bold,
> etc. Under Windows GDI, one is able to achieve the same text effects
> on any font. Is this not possible in freetype?

Maybe Windows GDI has a possibility to emulate bold for a font series
which doesn't have a bold face, but it can't have an emulation for
italic -- you probably mean slanted, don't you?

I believe that you have misunderstood the font naming issue at all:
FreeType only accepts the real font name; there is no support for
interpreting font names or handling font families in a sensible way.
This has to be done one or more levels higher.

I repeat it the last time here (and in future I will just say: Look
into the FT mailing list archive): Experimental support for bolding a
font is in ftsynth.c -- use it at your own risk; to slant a font apply
a proper font matrix.