Re: [Freetype] A question about font effect

From: Richard Barber
Subject: Re: [Freetype] A question about font effect
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:07:06 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > When the font size is under 15 point, the glyph that I got through
> > FTC_Image_Cache_Lookup() function is to be a black square. And when
> > I zoom in the font size, the glyph that I got is ok.
>
> This looks like a bug.  May I ask that you provide a very simple input
> file which shows the incorrect behaviour?

We had a similar problem in some fonts where 1bpp bitmaps were being
returned from the Image Cache at low font sizes, rather than the 8bpp
bitmaps normally generated by FT_RenderGlyph.

We tracked it down to the font actually containing 1bpp bitmaps for
small font sizes (seeing as just storing the bitmap at that size
takes up less space than Glyph + Hinting - especially for CJK fonts).

So whatever your 'draw_bitmap' function does - it needs to handle both
ft_pixel_mode_mono and
ft_pixel_mode_grays == FT_BitmapGlyph->bitmap.pixel_mode

... not sure whether that matches your problem, just a suggestion ;-)

Regards,
Rich