[Freetype] Freetype dev questions

From: henry . maddocks
Subject: [Freetype] Freetype dev questions
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:46:27 +1200

I'm an opengl developer and I want to use freetype to do my font rendering. I started with the gltt (gltt.sourceforge.net) code base and intended porting it to freetype 2. Freetype has change quite a bit between 1.3 and 2.0 to the extent that a rewrite is called for. Rather than just hacking support into my engine I want to make a general purpose library in the spirit of gltt that anyone can use.

The freetype docs are good but the tutorials are a bit too basic at this point.
I've got a few questions. If anyone could point me to where I can get the answers I'd really appreciate it, Or is it possible to search the list archives? In the meantime...

1. Is it correct to say that it's not a good idea to store copies of freetype objects in my own classes, rather use freetype accessor functions to get them as and when needed, eg FT_Size, FT_Glyph?

2. Has anyone had occasion when having multiple charmaps available at the same time has made sense?

3. What is the best way to handle multiple char sizes?

tia,
Henry

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
Yoda,Jedi Master