Re: [Freetype] Problem with demos on X11; Text layout question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Problem with demos on X11; Text layout question
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:41:40 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm new to freetype.  I'm using 2.0.1 on X11 (Linux, KDE), playing
> with the demos. The graphics subsystem doesn't respond to many of
> the key events used in ftstring.c. I presume this is a known
> problem, but I haven't found anything about it in the mailing list
> archive. All I can do is turn hinting on and off, and scale up and
> down. I'd like to be able to play with the other controls.

Type `?' to see the available controls.  With Linux under fvwm this
works OK for me,

> I'm interested in developing a free xml editor using freetype. Does
> anyone have any pointers to a free WYSIWYG text layout library or
> algorithms which might serve as a starting point?

The FreeType text layout library is not yet done, unfortunately.  For
complex scripts, the best you can try is Eric Mader's layout engine
for ICU:

   http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu

   The LayoutEngine code can be used without the rest of ICU.  The
   code is in <icu archive>/source/layout