Re: Freetype2 does not compile with GNU Make 3.77

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Freetype2 does not compile with GNU Make 3.77
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:21:02 +0200

Hi Ramon,

> I have just tried to compile Freetype 2 beta 8 with GNU Make 3.77
> and it did not work. It works fine with GNU Make 3.78. This is
> a Redhat Linux 6.2.

That's pretty strange, because I'm using 3.77 on the following
platforms succesfully: Win98, WinNT, OS/2, RedHat 6.1

I have a RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1 too that _both_ come with 3.78
and compile fine..

Is this really a problem for FreeType, or a distribution/installation
woe (whose origin is certainly difficult to find) ??

> The problem is with the line
> include $(wildcard $(SRC)/*/rules.mk) (freetype.mk: 192)
>
> This kind of wildcard expansion does not appear to work with GNU Make 3.77
>
> I think that requiring exactly the latest version of GNU Make is not a
> good idea. It will place a barrier for the users wishing to compile
> the Freetype library (or programs that need it).

I think too that it'd be stupid :-)

> A posible workaround is to replace that line by:
>
> include $(shell echo $(SRC)/*/rules.mk)

Well, this won't work on non-Unix platforms, which means that
we'll need to put system-specific rules in "freetype.mk". And I
specifically do not like this.. :-(

I'm ready to make the change though, but I'd like a bit more
information about the problem. Any Unix guru want to comment ??

Thanks for reporting this weird problem..
Cheers,

- David