Re: Big5, GB and UniCode code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Big5, GB and UniCode code
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:00:45 +0200 (CEST)

> I newbie in these topic, I wonder where I can obtain these GB to
> Big5 or Unicode index mapping or vice versa?

A Big5->Unicode resp. GB->Unicode mapping table is available from the
Unicode web site www.unicode.org (note that the ftp site is down
currently).

If the font has only, say, a Big5->glyph index mapping (PID=3, EID=4),
you can use tools like ttx to add a Unicode->glyph index mapping to
the font by using the Big5->Unicode table.  It's not too difficult.

Usually, most modern TTFs for Chinese have only a Unicode->glyph index
mapping table (PID=3, EID=1); the country specific mapping tables like
Big5 or GB have even disappeared from the latest OpenType
specification to force the application to use Unicode.  And indeed,
there is no reason today to use non-Unicode mappings at all except for
scripts which aren't part of Unicode yet.

Ideally, the same should be true for the Mac, but I can't confirm
that.