Re: [Sketch-list] using Sketch as a True Type font editor

From: Lauris Kaplinski
Subject: Re: [Sketch-list] using Sketch as a True Type font editor
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 21:05:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Pierre HANSER wrote:

> hello
>
> I realized today Sketch was quite appropriate to generate TrueType
> fonts, and so it could become the missing TrueType font editor in
> the free software world.
>
> The idea is to use Sketch to generate individual glyphs, and then
> to use Just Van Rossum's "FontTools" to transform them into a True
> Type font.

Yeah. Would generating reasonable font glyph outlines be the most
difficult part of font creation, there would certainly exist already
several tool for that.
The biggest obstacle is and has always been TTF bytecode generation.
Without it your font is usable only big print sizes and totally unusable
for screen display.
Actually there is lots of free TTF fonts available - but I know no one,
doing reasonable hinting.

Just my opinion,
Lauris