Re: How to tell if a font is fixed pitch, variable pitch, serifed, sans,

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: How to tell if a font is fixed pitch, variable pitch, serifed, sans, etc.
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:52:44 +0200

Hi Paul,

"Pedriana, Paul" a écrit :

> I see that you can tell the family name of a font in FreeType2 and the
> style (bold, italic), but I can't see anywhere where I can find if the font
> is fixed pitch, sans serif, etc. I need this information so I can write a
> font server whereby clients can ask for a fixed pitch font, for example.

Have a look at "face.face_flag". More specifically test it against the
FT_FACE_FLAG_FIXED_WIDTH constant which indicates monospaced/fixed-pitch
fonts..

You can also use the FT_IS_FIXED_WIDTH(face) macro too..

> Also, I noticed that bold and italic sytle flags are defined, but no others.

That's because "italic" and "bold" are the only styles that are widely
understood by graphics and windowing systems, as well as applications.

A font may have a different style, like "Condensed", "Hollow", etc.., but
this would appear in the "face.style_name" field as a string. There is no
reason to define other style bit flags for now, given that there is no
real established nomenclature about "original" style names..

> Another issue is that I can't find out how to enumerate the available
> characters in a font. I can load a given character, but can find no way
> to have it give me a list of available characters.

Yes, that part is missing for the moment... It should come very soon now :-)

Best Regards,

- David