Re: Codepage?

From: Rob Kramer
Subject: Re: Codepage?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:15:01 +0800

> You mean, your application displays (using FreeType) a chunk of text
> that ultimately comes from a Cut/Copy operation done in Windows Word.
> Do I get it right?
>
> So in fact, the text is 8-bit encoded.
>
> So you need a way to convert from the encoding used in Windows Word
> (I assume you, or your user, knows what it is) to transform to
> character indices as stored in the font (and then to glyph indices
> using some TT_CharToIndex function).
> Do I still get it right so far?

Correct, but I or the user don't know the encoding I guess.. I mean, the way
we did Thai text was by using a Thai keyboard on a normal English Win95
installation. Somehow the keyboard produced the proper codes to match the
font (and as far as I could see, that font only had a 'MS symbol' map.

Do you say that if I want to display Russian, my Windows (or word?) should
be in 'Russian mode', and my software should too? That was what I was trying
to do by having the user specify a codepage..

> Codepage 1200 is Unicode, you know it, the ultimate 16-bit encoding...
> where 0x0E01 is Thai ko kai, 0x410 is Russian A, etc.
> Most fonts, and particularly "recent" fonts, are encoded with this
> scheme. As a result, it is part of your application's job to transform
> from the 8-bit format you receive to the 16-bit Unicode format.

I'd like Unicode yes.. Can't I get an application like Word to output
Unicode?

> Depending of your platform, the job is more than probably already done,
> but the particular solution you have to use (iconv, mbs[r]towcs,
> MultiByteToWideChar, recode, ...) is dedicated.

Are these applications or calls in some library? I only know recode to be
honest.

Thanks for your help!

    Rob Kramer
    address@hidden