Re: [ft-devel] Problems building Freetype 2.10.0 on VS2005

From: Robin Watts
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problems building Freetype 2.10.0 on VS2005
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 18:24:43 +0100

On 31/05/2019 18:07, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 12:13 PM Robin Watts <address@hidden> wrote:
Despite intrin.h defining this function, it's not there on linking.
Release builds work fine. I fear VS2005 is broken in this regard.

Could the problem be that the Debug mode does not define /Oi by
default, i.e. all VS versions would fail in debug mode with your
custom project files?
We actually have EnableIntrinsicFunctions="true" in both Debug and
Release configurations in the out-of-box project files. Can you try
adding that option to your Debug configuration?

You are correct in that we have EnableIntrinsicFunctions set to no for Debug builds. Sorry, I should have spotted that.

So maybe this doesn't only affect VS2005 builds, but ALL VS builds.

It seems likely we *could* solve the problem by setting that to be true, but (due to the way our build is structured) that would enable intrinsics for far more than just freetype.

The only thing that gives me pause about doing this, is that presumably there must be a reason why it's not set like that out of the box (i.e. in a standard newly generated VS project file for Debug mode). Does it harm the debuggability of the generated exe?

It seems to me "suboptimal" for freetype to require this non-standard setting. Maybe freetype should only call the intrinsic in Release builds?

Just thinking out loud here; we'll try and go with whatever you think best.

Thanks,

Robin