Re: [ft-devel] Having trouble rendering emojis with FreeType

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Having trouble rendering emojis with FreeType
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 03:05:22 +0500

Hi Werner,

Pleased to inform you that you were right about the size not being correct. I just changed the line to:
FT_Error err = FT_Set_Char_Size(face, 6976, 0, 72, 72);
The program just works fine now. Just rendered an emoji on console, works totally fine!

The way I figured these sizes out is that I ran `ftview' in gdb and followed the code to a point where it sets the sizes. I just grabbed the size from there and everything works just fine. I still need to understand the exact steps `ftview' takes to calculate these sizes and why it does that. Too tired for it today, so I am calling it a night. Will do that very soon.

Thank you for telling me about `ftview'. I have seen it mentioned at places, but had no idea it was such a nicely written tool. Had I known about it earlier, I would have figured this out quicker.

Regards,
Moazin